Monday 31 July 2017

Birthday adventures

If you are like me you won't like surprise outings. I need to know what is about to happen in advance so I can be prepared. 

Thats not to say I haven't enjoyed the 'surprises' organised for my 71st birthday by my family, quite the contrary I have had a lovely two days, starting with that organised by my daughter who took me to a delightful local pub for a 'beer and cider festival' on Sunday and thereafter at home for a lovely meal prepared by my wife, a fabulous cook, which was enjoyed by us all. 



Today, Monday, I have walked 12.5 miles, been to Cannon Hill Park and enjoyed a picnic lunch with my wife, daughter, daughter-in-law and grandson 

There is nothing better in my eyes than to spend quality time with my family, I don't need presents, their presence is much more valued. 

We have always celebrated birthdays more than other 'conventional' holidays, they are personal and much more relevant than generalised public events. To be involved in a personalised gathering is much more pleasurable than to be showered with presents, the majority of which are of questionable use anyway. 

Don't get me wrong, I am not being ungrateful, I do appreciate it when someone goes to the trouble/expense of giving me a gift, its just that I would be more than happy with their company and have them avoid the worry and hassle of choosing 'an appropriate' present. 

Yes, there certainly is pleasure derived from giving and I would not want to deprive anyone of that but for me it's always the thought that counts and not the material possession of an artefact. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment